Why Crochet?

Crochet is a craft that involves a hook, yarn, and your fingers. You can make pretty much anything out of it. What I like to crochet are accessories you can wear like hats, scarves, and baby booties. I find it amazing how a ball of yarn can turn into a baby blanket that (if done correctly and under normal circumstances) will not come apart unless you cut it into pieces. :P Okay. That was a bad joke.

When I was nine, I took a crochet class at my homeschooling co-op. It was a tricky process at first, I'll admit, but once I got the hang of it, I was whipping out hats and scarves like crazy. Part of why I fell in love with crochet was the creativity and variety of things you can make. Take a scarf. There are so many ways to customize it. Fringe, flowers, stripes, pockets, hood...you name it. And then there's yarn. Seriously, whenever I walk into the yarn aisle at the craft store, I'm like, in a dream. There's the silky yarn, the metallic yarn, the pretty colored baby yarn, fuzzy yarn, and so much more.

In crochet, there are so many different directions you can take. I chose to turn my passion first into a class at my homeschool group, then into a business. I also love crochet because I can use it for God's glory, as Colossians 3:23-24 states:
"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as you reward. You are serving the Lord Christ."
When I was 10, I decided to sell hats and scarves to fundraise for Voice of the Martyr's Wells for Bangladesh, a ministry that, in this case, builds wells for people who don't have clean water. Though it was tough crocheting all those, what, 20 hats and scarves, it was definitely worth it. I managed to raise enough money for one well that helped bless others.

Go ahead. Find your direction in your craft.


Best Wishes,
Katie

Kaitlyn

No comments :

Post a Comment

Instagram